Monday, September 14, 2015

This is Not Coaching



I don't write fast because, as my banner says, I prefer to avoid "hot sports takes," especially when something controversial has erupted. 

So when the video above started to go viral on Twitter on Saturday, my first inclination was to write about how awful this was. Was Florida coach Jim McElwain right to snap on running back Kelvin Taylor? 

Then I came across this:
and all of a sudden, I needed to say a few words.

This isn't coaching. At least not from my understanding of it.

If you're mad about your athlete getting an unnecessary unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, I understand that. You're only up two touchdowns against a team from the American, and the penalty pushed the kickoff back to the 20 yard line. Ultimately, East Carolina gained 9 yards in the exchange (if you assume a kickoff sans penalty goes for a touchback), starting their ensuing drive from the 34 yard line.

But if you are trying to deliver a message about how one shouldn't lose their composure in the heat of battle and do something stupid...I fail to see how losing your composure and doing something stupid helps in the delivery and reinforcement of said message.

It quickly becomes a "Do as I say, not as I do" situation.

I loved seeing/getting the responses of "Well, you can be sure that Taylor will never do that again".

That is probably going to be the case, but it wouldn't necessarily be because he actually got the message about why that is wrong.

He probably won't do it again because he doesn't want some crazy dude flipping out on him two feet from his face.

I sincerely wonder about the "He won't do it again" folks. How many of them would truly be comfortable with their boss screeching at them like that for making a mistake.

Trust me, I'm not trying to absolve Taylor; it was a bonehead play. The throat slash has been outlawed since 2011. It's not like it's a brand new rule.

To his credit as well, McElwain realizes he went too far. That's a good thing.

Let's see if he can remember to keep his composure as much as he implores his students to do.

No comments: